How to produce high-quality extra virgin olive oil
The Terroir: Where it all begins
The terroir is a very broad concept, a combination of many factors consolidated over time that contribute to the typicality of a product and make it immediately recognizable.
A combination of 3 elements decisively affects the uniqueness of a product:
- VARIETIES: We only cultivate exclusively autochthonous varieties typical of our area: Verdello, Nocellara dell'Etna, Ogliarola Messinese, Biancolilla, Minuta;
- AREA: The cultivation area is hilly, located 700m above sea level in the foothills of Nebrodi park area
- CLIMATE: The microclimate is characterized by strong thermal variation
A Smooth Process
Another very important element is using best practices throughout the production process.
- At our altitude, harvest starts every year in late October while the olives are still green. This gives the oil more polyphenols and fragrances, and a higher quality at the expense of yield;
- The harvest is done by hand or with the aid of mechanical tools that make it easier to reach the highest branches. To avoid bruising, the olives are never allowed to touch the ground, they are separated from twigs and leaves right there in the field, and then placed in ventilated crates for transport to the mill;
- The milling by 'cold extraction' within a few hours of harvesting preserves the quality of the olives in the best possible way;
- Next, the oil is transported to stainless steel containers for storage in airtight stainless steel silos at a controlled temperature;
- Analyses and quality control are performed to classify our organic extra virgin olive oil
ANALYSES CERTIFYING PRODUCT QUALITY
Sample analysis 2020/2021 (result received 05/11/2020):
Acidity: 0.2% - Peroxides: 3.5 - Polyphenols: 406
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE OILS
L'Olio di Casa Virzì
Olio di Casa Virzì is a balanced blend made from carefully selected olives of the Nocellara Etnea, Biancolilla, and Ogliarola Messinese varieties grown in the extraordinarily rich soil in the foothills of Nebrodi Park. Harvested by hand early in the season, the olives are processed within a few hours by cold-pressing, which preserves their organoleptic qualities, producing an oil with great health benefits, fruity and floral scents, and a harmonious finish.
INTENSITY: Medium fruity with an elegant organoleptic balance.
FOR WHOM: For anyone, the first oil produced by the Virzì family
PERFECT PAIRINGS: Thanks to its great balance, this fruity, medium-intense oil is well-suited for most dishes with which it is paired. It enhances dishes without overpowering their flavor.
Lapillo is a monocultivar of Nocellara dell'Etna, an olive variety grown on our family farms at 700m above sea level. The name Lapillo derives from "lapilli", the small solidified fragments of lava formed during volcanic eruptions, and it expresses the strong link with the area. The olives are carefully hand-picked while still green and processed within a few hours using a cold press that preserves their organoleptic qualities. The end result is a medium-intense fruity EVO that releases the fruity and floral scents of Sicily.
INTENSITY: Medium fruity with lightly bitter sensations and a pungency that teases the palate pleasantly, prolonging elegant aromas of the oil.
FOR WHOM: For anyone looking for a medium-fruity oil with more pungency
PERFECT PAIRINGS: Salads or grilled vegetables, white meat, bruschetta, avocado, eggs, potatoes, lime, and pink pepper
SolOlio is a monocultivar of Verdello, an very elegant olive variety typical of our land. It is notable for its vegetal and grassy scents. The olives are carefully hand-picked while still green and processed within a few hours by cold-pressing, preserving their organoleptic qualities. The final result is a fruity EVO, MEDIUM PERSISTENT, of great elegance.
INTENSITY: medium fruity, persistent and of very high quality.
FOR WHOM: The great elegance and good persistence make this EVO the perfect oil for special occasions or for fancy gifts.
PERFECT PAIRINGS: Fish, vegetables, fresh cheeses, pasta or risotto in bianco with seafood or vegetables. Perfect for gourmet dessert toppings.